I took Vogue’s “Top 20” trends from the fall/winter 2013-2014 shows, picked out my favorites, and then real-girl styled them. Here are the results:
1. Head-to-toe Navy
Add a silver or brown skinny woven leather belt, an agate stone pendant in navy or a contrasting color, and your favorite wedges.
jacket by Nastygal
3. Pair your tweed getup with thigh high black boots@ lyst
For early fall, try chunky black flats with jet-black thigh high stockings
shoes by Munro American
4. The Grunge trend will have me trying to incorporate the last of my worn-out favorites from college into my sleeker, fresher big-girl in the city wardrobe
tunic by Tobi
creepers by T.U.K.
I would top it off with a structured, cropped black leather jacket and my helloberry bracelets
That off-white lace slip that everyone compulsively bought this season remains relevant in your closet for a few more months. Cover up with a chunky-knit white crew neck sweater. Pair with sheer black stockings and taupe boots like Céline did.
Madewell River Island @ Asos
6. Coats with oversized, rounded shoulders
7. ”Fur on bare skin, sheer, lingerie details and vinyl trench coats” a la Catherine Deneuve in Belle de Jour (1967)
Not sure I would rock a vinyl trench coat or fur… but I’m all for lingerie-inspiration
Pair tailored, high-waisted pants with an oversized button down and pumps.
9. 1940s silhouettes
Think hourglass shapes with nipped waists and low necklines.
Any one of these trends works perfectly with a tailored blazer. I think tailored silhouettes are pervasive throughout most of the looks in this slideshow.
least favorite trends:
- colored furs, mohair
- tartan (yugh)
- ostrich feather embellishments (I thought that would be done after the Gatsby hype died down!)
- youthful prints
- metallic mesh/knits
- powder pink coats
- crocodile… in pastels?